Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, December 25, 2015

A Post About Kellogg's Cards Inspired by a Scent

Today my daughter stepped up behind me and I noticed that the dessert she was eating had a distinctive smell.  The Tootsie Roll that she was eating took me back to my days on the 1973 Dodgers at the park near my house.



I remember this being a good team, but we only finished 3rd among the ten teams in our league.  I did okay recognizing kids on the team.  There were three kids who I new the last name but not the first and there were two who I didn't remember at all even after checking out their names on the back of the photo.

What does Tootsie Roll have to do with this?  We lived less than two miles from a Tootsie Roll plant.  I don't know if this Dodger team sold Tootsie Rolls as a fundraiser, but there were many years where we sold them.  I loved the can that doubled as a bank once the Tootsie Rolls were gone.

1973 was a great year for collecting cards.  Some kids collected entire sets while others focused on their favorite team(s) and star players.  There were no insert cards or traded cards.  No one focused on rookie cards.



I don't remember getting as many cards from Frosted Flakes as I got in other years.  My mom usually shopped on Saturday mornings.  To increase my odds of getting a Kellogg's card I needed to go with her to the grocery store.  Otherwise, one of my sisters might grab the Kellogg's box that had stickers, a license plate or an eraser - yuck!!  Maybe my team had lots of morning games and practices that year and I lost out?

Can you name the park shown in this picture?  Can you name any of the kids or pick out which one is me?  Can you name anyone in the background of this picture?  Can you name the street in the background?  Can you name anyone who lived in one of those houses?





2 comments:

  1. That's not Durkin Park (or Rainey)? There's one house there that seems very un-Durkin.....

    ReplyDelete