Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, December 21, 2015

Happy birthday to Dave Kingman.  I don't know why he was one of my brother's favorites, maybe it was because they shared a first name.  Like me, he was one of the few family members who favored the Cubs instead of the White Sox that most other south siders preferred.


Kingman was quite a home run hitter.  His career total ended up being 442.  After he left Chicago he was quite forgotten by me.  I was surprised to see how strong his career ended in Oakland.  In his three seasons with Oakland he managed to hit surpassed 30 homers and 90 RBIs each season.  

How many other players managed to surpass 30 HR/90 RBIs in their last three seasons?  Only 147 players have even had three or more seasons of 30/90.  Kingman did this five times.  It may take some effort to see who did this in their last three seasons.

It looks like he is the only retired player to do this in his last season.  And Kingman did it during his last three seasons!  Please correct me if I did this wrong.  My calculations could miss any player who switched teams during his final season.   

With the money available today it is difficult to imagine someone quitting if they can still hit 30 homers in a season.  

No comments:

Post a Comment