Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Kellogg's Cards That are Graded and Cracked - Now What?

 I mentioned these cards before but I had more questions about them.  


Summary - I picked up a lot that contained 1975 Kellogg's, one of the most likely of their sets to have cracked cards.  These two PSA 10 cards are severely cracked.


Here are the questions.

1.  Do people just take these cards out of the case since they are not looking too good?

2.  If someone takes the card out of the case, do you notify the grading company that it has been removed from the case?

I wonder about this because I've read comments from people online about their Kellogg's cards cracking after being graded.  If someone has a PSA 10 of a 1975 Topps Bill North, they probably are never going to take it out of the case.  Maybe not true of the cards above.

There are many PSA-graded 1975 Topps with very low populations.  Could those numbers be even lower if many of them are now cracked and/or removed from the holder?

I haven't decided the fate of these two cards yet.

7 comments:

  1. This is a conundrum. Obviously no one would say those cards are a 10 anymore but do you free them?
    I think I'd leave them in because at this point they make for an interesting topic of conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pop reports are undoubtedly inaccurate in terms of current condition/grades. I'd probably leave them in their slabs, but understand that those 10's are now 1's or A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great comments. None of the PSA cards in my collection have become cracked since being in my possession.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kinda scared to look at my graded Kellogg's cards from the 70's now. But if any of them are cracked... I'd probably just leave them in the case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm confused. I don't collect graded cards, so someone please educate me. Aren't graded cards sealed, how can these cards become cracked after the've been sealed in a graded case?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that they can become cracked after being put into the grading slabs. This makes sense if the grading company puts a curved card into the slab. I've had a bunch of graded cards and they look the same as when I got them - a span of at least 10-15 years.

      Delete