Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, January 4, 2020

How to Tell When You've Spent Too Much Time Sorting

I worked on 1970 Kellogg's football cards today.  It is definitely time to finish this.  I've just got to work on the small 1991 and 1992 all-star sets, the 1971 football cards and the Stop N Go cards. 

How do you know when you've spent too much time sorting?

1.  Driving down the street today I saw a license plate that had part of what I assumed to be Dennis Eckersley's last name and the number nine.  Whey is that noteworthy?  Well, if you have my problem you'd immediately think that Eckersley is card number 9 in the 1979 set.  True story.  Yes, I should probably seek help.

2.  While sorting through cards, I realized that even though I don't know card number of certain players, I can easily figure out the number based on where the card is on a nine-pocket page.  1970 Billy Williams.  I knew the card was in the 30 - 39 range.  Now I know that it is #37 because I can picture it on the set in progress that I organized. 

I use decimal, base 16 and binary at work, but I think I am now better at groupings of nine.  Another instance where Schoolhouse Rock has helped me in life.

3.  Playing the before/after game when putting a duplicate in a top loader into a box or stack of cards.  To place a Billy Williams (#37 in 1970) into the box just take a guess near the middle of the cards.  Then, if you've spent too much time with your cards you can probably immediately know if you need to go forward or back in the group of cards to place Williams correctly.


Has anyone ever figured out how to get rid of the cracks?

3 comments:

  1. Had my brother help me fix a few cracks in my wall. Cracks on Kellogg's cards? Haven't solved that mystery yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he lives near Chicago I can use his help.

    ReplyDelete