Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, September 5, 2015

A Different 1977 Pete Rose Kellogg's Baseball Card

I remember talking to Pete Rose once at the Rosemont Convention Center.  It was probably almost 20 years ago.  He was at the loading dock having a smoke.  No, that's not why I was there.  I've never smoked anything and I don't plan to start anytime soon.

He seemed like a good guy.  His status in the world today is a bit different than 20 years ago.  His cards are still certainly sought after.

The card show below was surprisingly not popular in a recent auction.  This card is a proof card from the 1977 Kellogg's set.  The blank-back card has a nice history that has been documented by the grading service.  This one and a few others that I own come from a photographer for Topps & Xograph.

There have been other blank-back cards listed in auctions, but it's nice to know where these ones originated and why.


I have yet to compare this card to an actual Rose card from the 1977 set to see if there are any differences.  I'll get to that someday like everything else.   

Tomorrow's card has a different story.

1 comment:

  1. Strange-looking card without that extra border, and the border that is there is a little too 70s to have that minimalist chic . . . but it's Pete Rose, so it doesn't matter. I would have loved to have talked to him.

    ReplyDelete