Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Kellogg's Cereal Box Dream #17 - My Thoughts Have Changed a Lot Since 1973

Getting this card in 1973 would have been okay.  I would have preferred many other stars at that point.  




1973 Kellogg's Nolan Ryan #16

1973 Cereal Box rating -- 7    comment --   I was never a fan of his.  I always thought that he                                                                               was a bit overrated.                                                         


2015 Rating                    -- 10  comment --  The most popular card in the set now.  

I still think he's a bit overrated.   Number of Cy Young Awards - 0.  Number of times as runner-up - 1.   I am impressed that he is the career leader in Hits per 9 innings as well as Hits+ Walks per 9 innings.

I realize that his record is deceiving since he didn't play on lots of winning teams.  He lost 292 games.  He had 16 winning seasons and 11 in which he didn't have a winning record.  

I will need to do more research, but not about his amazing 7 no-hitters.   

2 comments:

  1. He was a pretty solid # 2 or # 3 starter after the age of 40....but boy, he is what you call a cultural icon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Carlton Fisk, his training regimen allowed him to stay in the league forever. Too many baseball players ignored training and went from one position to first base to DH to retired.

    ReplyDelete