Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, October 21, 2015

It Seems Like It Was Just a Few Years Ago - Ouch I'm Old and So Are Kellogg's Cards

I need to stop reading the website that lists all of the baseball happenings from each day in history.  Today's made me feel old.  I know that I can add it in my head, but I started counting by hand in hope that it wouldn't be so long ago.

Ten, twenty, thirty, forty.  Dang, it was forty years ago that Carlton Fisk hit his homer off of the foul pole in the 1975 World Series.  

Everyone watched that game.  Why?  Baseball was certainly the biggest sport in the USA1975.  It also helped that it was the Big Red Machine vs. Boston's rookies - Lynn and Rice.  

Another factor was the channel selections available to us.  We had about five or six channels, no VCR, no DVD, no PC, phones were attached to the wall or required a dime, etc.  Good times.  

We watched every game every year.  Those were good times.  We then talked about it with our friends the next day. 


Fisk came to the White Sox for a while, but everyone thinks of him in Boston Sox.  The homer is certainly a big part of that.

2 comments:

  1. Those were indeed good times. I was too young at the time, so I don't remember if I watched it or not, but I have since watched it on Youtube! I actually think Fisk was better with the White Sox, but, looking at his cards, he appears so much slimmer as a Red Sox. With the Red Sox, he looks like an athlete; with the White Sox, he looks like a) a softball player (see 1982 Topps) and b) someone's slightly cranky father (any baseball card from 1985 on).

    That must have been an amazing season--the Big Red Machine v. The Red Sox, with an awesome rookie (Jim Rice) and an even awesomer one (Fred Lynn). And Bill "Spaceman" Lee. I am assuming he had a Kellogg's card?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After winning 17 games each season from 1973-1975 Lee appeared in the 1976 set.

    ReplyDelete