Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Upper Deck Vintage 3-D Cards

I showed two Upper Deck 3-D cards yesterday that I knew nothing about.  Both were from sets call Vintage, which I also knew nothing about.  Why?  From 1994's strike until 2005 I didn't watch any baseball.  I also didn't buy any new cards.

Since I showed the cards, I figured it would be best if I could learn more about them.  All things 3-D are now on my list including these sets.

The 2003 set has 30 cards that were inserted at a rate of 1 per 48 packs.  That's not an easy set to accumulate when one card is in every two boxes.  How much do these boxes cost?  

The 2004 set has 90 cards that were inserted at a rate of 1 per 12 packs.  That's still a lot of boxes for the set. 

It doesn't seem like these sets will be easy to find and they might not be cheap.  Add these to another list of things I might search for over the years.  That's a good challenge for my one day at the National this year. 

Has anyone seen these cards in lots or sets?

Did 2001 or 2002 Upper Deck Vintage have 3-D cards?  

7 comments:

  1. Dang. The 2003 subset singles are pricey. Have fun with this set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 3-Ds are the part of that set that seems to linger on everyone's want lists. I have most of the whole 2003 Vintage set minus some short prints and all of the 3-Ds. Not sure I've actually held one in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that will take me forever since I am cheap. Not good either to hear that there are short prints as well. I'm glad I don't really collect new stuff because that is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe I saw the 90 card 2004 set for sale on ebay above $400. Tough sets to complete. Question: Does anyone care about Sportflics? I have a few black and white ones that have Ruth, Mays etc. At one point I wanted to own an example of every 3d card type. Way too many 3d cards to own them all. But owning an example from every set seems possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never really chased the Sportsflics. I have a few but I'm not going after all 3-D cards either. If I like them I will consider them even if they are too pricey for me. I doubt that I'll ever get that 1968 Topps 3-D Clemente card, but one can always dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So my Sportflics are 1986 Decade Greats:

    http://www.baseball-almanac.com/baseball_cards/baseball_cards_oneset.php?s=1986spo03

    Always a sucker for all time greats sets. You can get all 75 cards for about $18 bucks on ebay... just sayin... Matt, they have a Ruth, Mays and Clemente card. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's something I might need to consider. I don't want the large sets that they made.

    ReplyDelete