Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, February 26, 2020

More 1997-98 Kellogg's Basketball Card Information

I found out that there are at least two different versions of these cards - gold and silver.  Are there others?




Based on this card that must have been in packs, I guess that the Gold Edition was only available by buying the set.



The Silver Edition must have been inserted into some Kellogg's product(s).  Any ideas?




The checklist is shown below.


I didn't see the Kellogg's logo anywhere on the cards.  Did I miss something?  Are these the same cards that Upper Deck and Pinnacle produced in 1998 for their regular set?  The cards are numbered 1 - 56.

More oddities.  The NBA cards are from Upper Deck and the WNBA cards are from Pinnacle.  Yet they sold them together.

Grant Hill is card #01.  His is the only card without the Upper Deck or Pinnacle logo on the front.  Instead, it has the Pistons logo.  The other Pistons don't have the Pistons logo either.  What is that all about?




I added the pictures of the Grant Hill card.  Notice it does have the Upper Deck logo on the back.  A nice comment by Billy (https://www.blogger.com/profile/11847326710191224832) about Hill's Fleer contract makes sense.  Is there a difference with the logo being on the back of a card? 

6 comments:

  1. It's very odd that there isn't a Kellog's logo on the cards... I wonder if it was just rushed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a totally unique design. I'm seeing it for the first time in this post, and I'm closing in on 94 thousand different NBA cards. They must have been regional because if they were here I would have some. Grant Hill had a spokesman contract with Fleer/Skybox at that time, yet still would have been able to be included due to being an active NBA player. That probably explains the logo difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is some great insight into the Grant Hill logo. I don't remember that being an issue for other players who appeared in multiple sets with league licensing. Did this occur with other sets?

      I'm surprised that the design was unique. At some point in the mid-1990s Kenner used cards that already were in other regular issues and put them in the Starting Lineup brand.

      Delete
  3. Never seen these before, but I'm jealous that you have both versions of the Kobe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't pay any attention that there was a Kobe in the stack of silver cards.

    ReplyDelete