Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, December 24, 2021

A Graded Card Goal That I Never Planned

 I have still never sent a card for grading.  I don't collect graded cards at all.  So, how did I end up with an entire box of cards graded by Beckett or PSA?  Here is a sample of some of these cards and how they ended up in my collection.






I remember buying this in the last two years at the National.  I liked the coloring and the price - I paid $7 maybe.  I wasn't finding anything else and I wanted to get a few 1971s that look decent.  Not many 1971s have nice coloring like this one.



This is not the one I bought at a show last week.  I have no memory of getting this one, so it must have been part of a set purchase online.  It is actually not a 1972 Kellogg's card; it is a 1970 Rold Gold.  Since I don't follow PSA much, I don't know if/when they started to properly flag these as 1970 Rold Gold when it is obvious from the back of the card which one it is.  


I bought a handful of Pete Rose cards that were graded a long time ago.  Why?  It seemed like a good price.  


I remember buying a set that had a few cards graded.  Why do I remember that?  Since I don't keep the graded cards with my set, I then had to figure out how to get a Ryan that isn't graded.  Yes, some of you would save that I should crack the card out of the holder, but I haven't done that yet.  Not that there is anything wrong with doing that.  


This Brett was my first PSA card purchase.  I remember wanting to buy it because the colors were so bright and none of my 1975s look to be any color like this one.  If I started by saying I had a 1975 Brett PSA 10 I would probably get a lot more attention to my post. 



Really, I am not a Pete Rose fan.  Since I have so few cards and I want to show one from each year, here is Rose again.  



Sneaking into the newer cards and the "why did someone grade it" part of this post.  I didn't pay any premium for a set that contained this Carlton.    


I remember buying a 1978 set with two graded cards - Ryan and Tanana.  A big Angels fan?  Really, those were the two cards that they decided to grade.  I guess grading was affordable back then, so no big deal.  


I don't have any graded Kellogg's cards from 1981-83.  I was surprised to get this Brett card in a bulk purchase a few years ago.  

Without paying attention, I have at least one graded card from every set of the 1970s except for 1972 and 1979.  Next year I will make it a point to get a card from those sets.  I may even consider getting a graded card from the 1981 - 1983 sets if they can be found for a few dollars.

I have some 1970 football cards that are graded, but I don't have any from 1971.  I might try that as well next year. 


1 comment:

  1. I have a few graded 1970 Kelloggs baseball... and a couple of 1972 and 1974 graded A's. But like you... I've never submitted a card for grading and after hearing about what they're charging... I never will.

    ReplyDelete