Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Hall of Fame Ballot and Votes- Ouch I Feel Old

 I think that all but one player (Clemens) on the current Hall of Fame ballot started their MLB career before I graduated college.  And he didn't start until after Kellogg's ended their run with the 1983 set.  I still followed the game closely until 1994, but once there was a strike that year I started my own for the next 11 years.  I didn't watch anything until my son got interested.

So, I don't know the careers of most of these guys that well.  Sure, I followed the leaders and the steroids discussions, but were these guys big stars?  How do their numbers stack up to years when 37 homers led the NL?

My age also shows when the Golden Era players were voted on recently.  I enjoyed watching the announcement show for the entire hour.  

Jim Kaat (1976) and Minnie Minoso (1991 Legends) appeared on Kellogg's cards.   Minoso has two cards, since the set was created in both English and Spanish versions.  There is a very difficult Kaat variation in the 1976 Kellogg's set that depicts a White Sox logo on the back.  








Tony Oliva appeared in the first four Kellogg's sets (1970 - 1973).


I sure would like to find more packs like the Oliva above.  I've mentioned this before, but I remember seeing these as a kid and never even considering buying them when I could get 50 Topps cards for a penny more.  We didn't see rack or cello packs at this location so we couldn't get more cards per dime.

Gil Hodges, Buck O'Neill and Bud Fowler didn't appear on a Kellogg's card.  I see some great cutsom cards online and I'd love to see some of the old-timers in the 1972 Kellogg's / 1970 Rold Gold design.


No comments:

Post a Comment