Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, December 24, 2018

Was Topps Paying Attention to Rold Gold Cards?


 The 1970 Rold Gold card set had great card backs, even including a photo of the player.  The 1972 Kellogg's All-Time Greats card shown below is identical other than the date at the bottom.



The card provides lots of career highlights and summary information since they skipped yearly statistics.  I always liked the statistics, but it was nice to read something about these players who I never watched play the game.  

In 1971 Topps added a picture to the back of their baseball cards for the first time.  Did they get this idea from the Rold Gold cards?  Whey did Topps abandon the idea again until 1993?



Kellogg's then added photos to the back of their cards in 1971. 

5 comments:

  1. When I was 9 years-old my grandfather tried to collect this whole set for me. I have one Rold Gold still in the package so I believe there were in the pretzel packages and I know that you could mail away because I bought a bunch of unopened mail away sets in the 1990s. But my grandfather got me 12 or 13 of the cards the first year I started collecting in 1970. I never had a full set until I was an adult. When the 1972 all time greats came out in Danish-Go-Rounds my grandfather and I collected the whole set together - I remember him complaining about how bad the pastries were... of course I loved them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of photograph on the back of cards... I usually think of 1987 Sportflics and 1988 Score. Rold Gold beat them to it by nearly 2 decades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate all of the most sugar-filled cereals in existence but we never were able to convince our parents to get the Danish-Go-Rounds or Pop-Tarts. Only one kid that I knew of had any of those cards from 1972. We ate plenty of Rold Gold Pretzels, but I don't remember ever hearing about cards in those packages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've never been able to find a picture of the rold gold packages or the mail away instructions, etc. But I have an unwrapped Robert "Left" Grove rold gold (1970) so I guess that proves they put them in the packages?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've noticed and written before that all of my unopened packs of all-time greats are from 1970. Does anyone have an individual pack with the 1972 date on the back?

    https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=1358078179899121483#editor/target=post;postID=5095504455382563821;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=8;src=postname

    ReplyDelete