Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, January 28, 2016

Quotes That Should Be on the Back of a Kellogg's Card - Round 1

It would be great if Kellogg's had put some great quotes on the back of their cards.  I'm going to see if I can find quotes from players who had a Kellogg's card.  I will not worry about whether the quote actually occurred chronologically before the Kellogg's card.

Baseball quotes are easy to find.  One of my favorite books of baseball quotes is called Voices of Baseball by Bob Chieger.  It is always fun to skim through on a quiet day.

Five quotes shown on the back cover are from players who appear on a Kellogg's card - Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, Tug McGraw, Dan Quisenberry and Yogi Berra.  I will check those out sometime.

Today I'm going to check out quotes that are fan-related.

Reggie Jackson will lead the way with his quote.  He said "Fans don't boo nobodies".  I like that one because it sounds stupid but it certainly rings true.




Referring to autographs, Babe Ruth said "Oh, hell, who wants to collect that crap?"  He sure did sign a lot of them.  I was lucky enough to hold a ball signed by the entire 1927 Yankees and another signed by Ruth, Gehrig and a few others.  How did I get so fortunate?  My friend's grandmother went to Columbia University and became friends with a ballplayer named Henry who ended up playing with the Yankees.  Luckily for my friend her grandmother's friend was better known as Lou Gehrig.



I doubt that I will ever see that ball again since I haven't seen my friend in many years.  If someone held a ball like that today they'd at least have a nice picture of the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment