Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Wednesday, January 3, 2018

1979 Kellogg's Baseball Card Variations Again

I'm getting closer to figuring out the different print runs.  And I've sorted all of the 1979s that I can find here.  Here's what I now need.

For the first print run I only need five cards.  This run has all cards with the Registered trademark in the scarf.  I need George Brett, Carl Yastrzemski, Davey Lopes, Terry Puhl and Bill Bonham.

As others have explained, the second print run has the Registered trademark below the scarf on 58 cards (Rau and Monday have none) and no Registered trademark near the team logo.  I have one Phillie variation in this print run.  Bowa can be found with either team logo.  I assume the other Phillies can be found with variations here.

I also found two unopened packs of Tom Seaver from print run 2 that have the two different Reds logos.

I'm missing 17 of these from print run 2 - if they all exist.  Some of my unopened packs from print run 2 have the Registered trademark next to the team logo.  So, my guess is that there is no difference for these cards in the second and third printing.  So far I've found Zisk, Driessen, Seaver, Chambliss, Griffey and Almon.

The third print run added the Registered trademark next to the team logo so that it now appears on 43 different cards.  I have all of these and seven team logo variations.

I have an opened factory set with the thicker card stock and orange lettering.  I will call that the fourth print run.  These 60 cards match the third print run - 43 Registered trademarks next to the team logo.  I guess that this makes sense.

I picked up an opened factory set a few weeks ago.  I was happy to see that the thinner stock with red letters was there instead of the thick stock and orange lettering.  It was the third print run as well.

3 comments:

  1. Send me your address = I have the Puhl and Bonham for you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Lopes card is rare. I had only one of them and not seen any from the first print in 25 years..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know about the Lopes card. I will be on the lookout for it - maybe forever?

    ReplyDelete