Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, January 27, 2018

A 14-Time All-Star? 17-Times, 18-Times?

Warren Spahn was supposed to be the answer to the last question about not playing in All-Star Games. 

Here is his card from the 1991 All-Star set.


Normally this card seems to show both images at once as can be seen above.  When I moved it around I got the images shown below.





Most of the cards can be tilted so that just one image shows.  I had a challenge with this card and then I gave up.




Here is what the back of the card mentioned.

He didn't win his first game until age 25.  That's not standard for 300-game winners.  Not many win their last games at age 44 either.  

He had two no-hitters, was named to 14 All-Star teams.

Not on the card - 

He did military service for three seasons - 1943 - 1945.  He was awarded a Purple Heart.

Baseball-reference.com lists him with 17 All-Star team appearances and I thought I got a count of 18 when I checked the Sean Lahman database, which still isn't functioning on my Macbook.

Where does 17 come from?  In three different seasons, Spahn was on the roster for both All-Star Games that were played that year - 1959, 1961 and 1962.  There were also two All-Star Games in 1960.  

Baseball-reference.com places a star next to the year whenever a player has been an all-star.  So, it shows 14 for Spahn.  That's the mistake that Kellogg's must have made here, even though the site didn't exist before the year 2000.      

No comments:

Post a Comment