Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, February 2, 2018

1975 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs #31 - 33

Now that I'm back up to speed I need to continue with my look at the 1975 Kellogg's card backs.  I like checking out the backs of these cards because most of the fronts of these cards that I see are quite discolored and/or cracked.


#33 - Rod Carew


He won his fourth batting title in 1974, more than any other active player.  He has the highest batting average of any AL player.  

Not on the card - does that mean there is an NL player above his .323?

He stole 38 bases too.

Not on the card - he won three more batting titles and was an all-star in his first 18 (of 19) seasons.




#32 - Bill Buckner



Bill Buckner the 2nd?  I'd prefer Jr.  

He is One of many speedsters on the Dodgers.

Not on the card - that changed with his ankle injury.

It is mentioned in the paragraph that he stole 32 bases in 1974.  

Not on the card - baseball-reference.com credits him with 31 steals.  I guess I should see if this card was ever changed.  He stole 187 in his career.

UPDATE - Topps didn't have stolen bases listed on the backs of their cards from 1975 - 1980.  Buckner's 1981 Topps card credits him with only 31 steals in 1974.  I've got about five Buckner cards from 1975 Kellogg's, all damaged, and they all have the text that mentions 32 steals.  Does anyone have a corrected paragraph with 31 steals?





#31 - Willie Montanez




I guess every baseball player was the same size in 1974.  Carew - 6-0, 179 while Buckner and Montanez both admit to 6-1, 185.  I was right in that neighborhood at my old age until I started training hard again.  Too light; too late - way too late.

Willie came up in 1966 and then didn't return to the majors until 1970.  

I love that the card mentions the "ill-fated" Curt Flood deal in 1969.  Flood was traded by the Cardinals to the Phillies and he refused to report to his new team.  Montanez later became part of deal to compensate the Phillies for Flood not reporting,

Flood's saga became a Supreme Court case (Flood v. Kuhn, 1970).  It was in the courts until 1972 when it was ruled in favor of Kuhn and Major League Baseball.  To learn more about Curt Flood, the 10/5 Rule and the Reserve Clause visit your local library.    

I'm disappointed to read all of this factual stuff on the 1975 card backs.  At least half of the text should be reserved for mention of what Willie is best known for - being a hot dog.  He would catch foul balls behind his back, walk to first base when walked, take home run trots in an era when most just ran around the bases - entertaining stuff like that.  I want to read that.








No comments:

Post a Comment