Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, April 2, 2018

1972 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs #34 - 36

I spent some time sorting my 1972s today so I've almost memorized the card numbers.  I will forget that by the time I sort something else tomorrow.  I intentionally didn't read the backs because I want to do that while I am working on today's post.

Here are the next three cards in the set.

#36 - Sonny Siebert



Fenway Park, which is much revered today, was mentioned on the back of this card as a bandbox ballpark.  It is also mentioned as "the pitching graveyard".

He was signed in 1958 and turned into a pitcher in 1960. 

Not on the card - why the change to pitcher?  His batting stats from early in his minor league career were a good reason to have him try the mound.  I read that he injured his ankle so he ended up pitching BP ad eventually being tried on the mound.





#35 - Reggie Smith



Reggie Smith cards can be found in commons boxes.  This guy was good.  He had a .287 career average and he hit 314 homers.  He was a seven-time all-star who received MVP votes in seven different seasons. 

Karate and quarter horses are different hobbies.  Do they go together?

He played Little League with Houston's Don Wilson, who is also included in the 1972 Kellogg's set.

Smith was known for his glove and strong arm.  He was second in assists to Carl Yastrzemski.  





#34 - Claude Osteen




Osteen's hobbies put us back to normal - fishing and golf.

He played a long time so there isn't much text.  All three cards in this post refer to other baseball people by name.  I like that.  Dodger manager Walt Alston thinks that he is one of the most consistent pitchers in baseball.   





No comments:

Post a Comment