Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, June 11, 2018

1994 Kellogg's Clemente Collection Card Backs - #2

This shouldn't take long because there are three cards in the set and all of them are Roberto Clemente.  Kellogg's issued these in 1994 in cereal boxes in Puerto Rico.

I've mentioned this small set in numerous blog posts.  Now I will check out what they wrote on the back of the cards.





The card doesn't have the 3-D coating, so it lays flat like a regular baseball card.  The back has a nice picture.  

The information section mentions that he played right field, bats right, throws right but then it lists 1961 - 1972.  I don't know what the 1961 date is related to at all.  

The bio sticks with his basic career accomplishments so I can figure it out with my Spanish class from 30+ years ago. 

He played right field from 1955 - 1972.

He was a 12-time NL All-Star.

He won four batting titles.

He led the Pirates to World Series wins in 1960 and 1971.  

He was the NL MVP in 1966 and the World Series MVP in 1971.  

In his last game he got his 3,000th hit.

He was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1973.  

Not on the card - baseball-reference.com shows him playing right field 2,306 times, center field 63 times, left field 24 times, second base twice and third base once in his career.  After 1956 he only played RF or CF.




I miss the DID YOU KNOW? that was on some of the 1972 Kellogg's cards.   I just learned that Ken Reeves and Zack Morris both attended Bayside H.S.   Reeves went to high school in Queens but Zack was California all the way. 

Reeves father on the show loved the Yankees and Mickey Mantle appears in the episode that I am watching now.  I need to make a Kellogg's card of The Mick.

2 comments: