Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, January 17, 2021

2021 National - Any News Other Than Yes It Is Scheduled?

 I've been going through my cards to create a checklist for the upcoming National  card convention since it is near me this year.  Their site is selling tickets and it seems to be business as usual, but what are the odds of having the event at all?

If the event is held with restricted numbers, would dealers still be interested in showing up?  

The Chicago area hasn't eased restrictions and that probably won't be changing for a while.  Can anyone guess when the convention organizers would decide to cancel?

For those of you flying to Chicago, what is your go/no-go deadline?


Since I've been home more I am getting a list together of affordable items to look for at the show.  

  • Kellogg's cards that I just can't find in nice condition except 1971s.
  • 1971s for my master set - any condition.
  • Unopened one-card packs.
  • Factory sets, although these might be out of my price range for sets before 1979.
  • Johnny Bench cards from 1975 and 1976 because I only find them looking like to one below.

  • Sportscaster cards that I need - mostly high numbers at this point.
  • Western Open Golf Tournament items / Chick Evans memorabilia.
  • Hostess Boxes with the cards on the bottom.
  • Unmarked checklists and team checklists from the 1970s that I marked as a kid.  I will certainly keep the ones that I filled in with a blue pen.
  • Track and field items that would display well. 
Do any of you bring cards with you to trade/sell to dealers?   






7 comments:

  1. At this point even if the National is held I will,probably pass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we certainly HOPE that there will be enough vaccinations by the end of July that events like the National can go on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if there wasn't the issue of COVID... I wouldn't go. I've looked into it a few times and it'd cost me way more than I'd want to spend. I'd rather just pick up new cards for my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is understandable. I hope someday they decide to head west with the National but it doesn't seem likely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would be awesome to have a West Coast National someday. With the boom so big now, can’t believe the hobby as well as the industry can’t get together and get something going here in CA or Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took my kids to the 2006 National in Anaheim and it hasn't been back since. But it makes me wonder why can't another group have a large show on the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The common story told is that dealers are mostly in the east, so they wouldn't want to head out west. I would think that there would be better walk-ups wanting to sell to dealers in areas that don't have these type of shows regularly. Vegas is the one option I hear about, but it doesn't seem likely. FYI - I have no ties to anyone, these are just my thoughts. I've been spoiled by being able to attend frequently in Chicago aa well as having easy drives to St. Lous, Cleveland, Atlantic City and Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete