Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, January 24, 2021

Questions for an Expert on PSA - Kellogg's Cards, Topps Cards, Any Cards

 I needed to test drive a fix to my old car so I decided to go to a card shop.  I needed to check out expressway driving so I figured why not head to a shop that I've never been to before.  




Though I've never been to the Baseball Card Exchange, I've been to many Nationals where they set up shop with their amazing display.  


The shop was quite unlike their display at the National.  That makes sense too.  You will notice some nice unopened packs in the display case.  The oldest ones I saw were from 1980.  

I didn't see any Kellogg's cards and I didn't ask about them either.  I've seen a few Kellogg's items on their website but I wanted to just see what they sold in the store.

They had a nice selection of newer and older cards that would appeal to those who are fans of Chicago teams.  They had a nice mix of stars old and new from a variety of sets.  I was quite impressed by how affordable the cards were, including some that were autographed.  I don't really collect autographed cards, but I still like that the prices seemed reasonable.

Some kids were buying junk-era basketball boxes because it seems that those are popular now.  

Card savers and top loaders have gone up in price everywhere, so even though I need some I didn't know if the prices were good or not.  I needed pages and binders, so I picked up some of those.

There was some good conversation about the possibility of the National.  I felt like a valued customer even though I spent only $34.  The free SMR Magazine was nice too.  

Here are questions I would ask someone who knows PSA

Some cards should obviously be graded and some cards shouldn't be graded.  Since I've never sent a card to a TPG company, I am probably like lots of collectors who could use advice.

1.  I would think that a big company / dealer could offer (an "Estimator") something like this at the National / another show / at their office.  I would bring in cards that I am not sure should be graded and they would tell me which ones to send away.  Maybe I'd pay a fee at the beginning and another fee after grading when the estimator is proven correct.  Sure there are lots of things to work out, but does anything like this exist?

2.  What should something like that cost?

3.  How long would the estimator look at each card to determine if I should send it?  

4.  What other options are there?


1 comment:

  1. Hope hobby distributers and shops star receiving shipments of supplies... because no way I'm gonna pay double for top loaders. Hope you receive answers to your questions and share them on your blog.

    ReplyDelete