Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, April 20, 2017

Ballpark Openings on This Day

On this day in 1912 both Fenway Park and Tiger Stadium, known as Navin Field at first, opened.  I couldn't find the box score for these games on baseball-reference.com.

In 1916 Wrigley Field, then called Weeghman Park, had its first game.  I found the box score and found that no players appeared in the game who had a Kellogg's card.

I've been to Fenway four times so far.  I enjoyed sitting behind the lowest part of the right field wall, but now that they have seats in left field, my favorite place in any ballpark, I've got to make another trip to Fenway.

I only got to Tiger Stadium once.  I remember that it was just like Comiskey Park in almost every way.  The stadium was crowded with rowdy kids who were waving around their fire engine red bats that were given out to kids under the age of ?? that day.  I was too old for that one.  When Cecil Fielder hit a big homer the noise from all of the bats thumping on the cement was awesome.  I guess the year could be narrowed down since he played for Detroit from 1990 to 1996.  I think it was in the 1993 to 1994 time frame since I boycotted after the 1994 strike.

I am hoping to see a new ballpark this year.  Maybe Milwaukee's park since it is fairly close.

Ty Cobb hit .409 in 1912 even though the team had a poor season.



No one in my neighborhood had more than one of these cards from the 1972 Kellogg's All-Time Greats set.  Now they are among the most popular Kellogg's cards.



No comments:

Post a Comment