Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, November 15, 2015

Cookies and Kellogg's Baseball Cards

I remember Cookie Rojas for a few things.  The best memory is that of my brother pronouncing his last name - Ro-jazz.  So, that's what he's always been called.

On the baseball reference database (http://www.baseball-reference.com/) they list 549 players named Bill from 1871 - 2014.  That doesn't even count Wills, Williams, Billy, etc.  There is not a single player named Cookie.

From my card collecting I knew that his first name was Octavio.  Cookie would have been a first on the database and it turns out he's the only player named Octavio anyway.


I didn't realize that he was a five-time all-star and I didn't know he was Cuban.  Since we didn't have constant cable coverage of sports, only a few players were seen in interviews and I don't remember seeing Cookie do interviews.

He was good enough to earn MVP votes in three different seasons.  He also appeared in the lineup at all ten positions during his career.

He led the league in one category and only one time - sacrifice bunts.

He was signed by the Cubs in late 1978 but he didn't appear in a game.  So, he retired as a Cub?  Yes, with no games played for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment