Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, November 6, 2015

My Favorite Kellogg's Sets - Where Does 1971 Rank?

The 1971 Kellogg's set presents a major challenge.  A factory set wasn't available so cards were never available to dealers in quantity and collectors weren't able to store sets and singles in perfect shape.  Everything came from the cereal boxes.



What I like about the set -

1.  I like the photos.  I like that many of them are not as close up as in other years.

2.  I like the variations.  That has allowed me to have quite a challenge as a collector.

3.  Player selection includes younger and older players including lots of stars.



What I don't like about the set -

1.  There are not a lot of colorful cards since they came out of cereal boxes before we had good ways to store them.  The colors faded on these cards quickly.

2.  These cards cracked way too often.

3.  The cards curled way too much.

4.  The player selection includes too many guys who weren't established stars.

5.  75 players is fine if they include Hank Aaron and Carl Yastrzemski, which they didn't.



Clean, colorful cards are difficult to obtain.  They certainly are expensive.  I am not attempting to get a set in perfect condition so that helps me a lot.


Overall I don't like this set very much since most of the cards I encounter are faded, worn, creased and cracked.  When a nice one if found and the color remains, it looks great.


1 comment:

  1. Hence...why they are so much of a challenge and those in that high end condition and have been well kept deserve premiums.

    ReplyDelete