Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, November 20, 2015

My Favorite Kellogg's Card Sets - Why I Love the 1977 Set

I was putting a set of Kellogg's cards from 1977 into top loaders today.  I don't get cards from this year very often.  

I like the color scheme.  It's great to get away from the blue colors that were used in most years.



I like the Campaneris card for the uniform color the pose and everything else about it.


The classic baseball card pose demonstrated by Garvey works really well with the 3-D cards.  


I've seen far too many of the 1977s with cracks.  Not as many as seen in 1971 and 1975.  The 1977s have a lot of white border like the 1970 set, so they don't look good if the bright white is faded.


I'm going to assume that Garvey was just trying to be more like Pete Rose.


We all wanted this card of Fidrych in 1977.  He was fun to watch.  


1977 was not Kellogg's best year for player selection.  They didn't even manage to get 10 Hall of Famers in this set.

Missing in 1977 - I'm sure there are more

1976 Strikeout Leaders - Nolan Ryan and Tom Seaver
1976 Home Run Leader - Mike Schmidt
1976 Wins Leader - Jim Palmer
Others - Joe Morgan, Jim Rice, Willie Stargell, Carl Yastrzemski, Robin Yount

Overall I like the layout, but I'm not too happy that they took so many chances on unproven players.  More stars would have been better.


No comments:

Post a Comment