Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Tuesday, December 26, 2017

1983 Kellogg's Baseball Card Questions

I've written about the color differences with the 1979 Kellogg's baseball cards.  Lee had lots of great information to add regarding the two printers and three print runs for those sets. 

Today, I was sorting through a stack of 1983s and I noticed two distinct printings like the 1979s.  I haven't read anything, but were two printers used for this set as well?  Check out the two Valenzuela cards.  The one of the right is has the word Kellogg's in a reddish color.  It also has a bright, white border.  The card on the left reminded me of the 1979s with a more orange Kellogg's title and a border with a more washed-out white.

Unlike the 1979s, where I have more of the orange versions, I have mostly the red versions of the 1983s.  What does everyone else have?



I checked out about a dozen cards and noticed no differences on any of the card fronts except Valenzuela's.  On Fernando's card it looks like there is a base on the mound behind him.  It switches sides on the two cards.  Check out inside the "V" in Fernando's signature.  



The card backs feature different alignment as can easily be seen by the differences in the bottom border.  Like the 1979s, one version has a bright, white color on the back and the other is washed out a bit. 

5 comments:

  1. Good eyes. Never would have caught that base on the mound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked through a bunch of the cards and I didn't see anyone else with that exact pose. I will check the entire set later tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I have multiple Valenzuelas from this set. I'll have to check mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you don't have both and want one let me know. I'm guessing that I have extras of each one. I'm mostly interested in learning about the process that caused the different colors and print style on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your right - This Set was from 2 different printers...

    ReplyDelete