Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, July 7, 2016

My Favorite Kellogg's Set - Why I Love the 1981 Set

There are a lot of positives with the 1981 Kellogg's Baseball card set.  I like the 66-card set size and I think Kellogg's did a good job of picking the stars of the day.  There are 22 Hall-of-Fame players and Pete Rose.  There were probably only about seven cards that featured players who didn't have long, productive careers.  Most notably in that group would be Joe Charboneau.

I like the change to a bigger card as well as the bright, yellow colors.  In 1979 and 1980 it was difficult to really get a feel for the uniforms since the cards were so small.  I really like how this design accentuated the photo and minimized the borders.  I think Kellogg's got lazy in 1980 since they had no competition with Hostess.  Remember, 1981 also brought in Fleer and Donruss cards.

I didn't like the cards being exactly 3.5 x 2.5 inches because their thin stock made it difficult to put them into nine-pocket pages.  I prefer the cards a bit smaller than regulation baseball cards.

This set is easy to find cheap, so enjoy a great set with great images from 1980.  The big negative for me is that these cards were not found in cereal boxes.  One had to purchase the set from Kellogg's.  I didn't do that.  When I collect all unopened packs I only need to work on 1970 - 1980.



The image is so much bigger that the brand of bat can even be seen.





No comments:

Post a Comment