Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, March 4, 2016

Kellogg's Players from Rhode Island

As of the end of the 2014 season there have been 77 MLB players from Rhode Island.  I just found out that the database including 2015 data is now available at seanlahman.com so I hope to update my database soon.

Some famous players are on this list including Nap Lajoie, Hugh Duffy Paul Konerko.  I notice Rocco Baldelli on this list too.  Baldelli brings back memories from The National Card Show in Baltimore one year.  I bought a few boxes of newer cards that advertised a jersey/auto card in each box.  I managed to pull two Baldelli jersey cards in one day.  What are the odds and why couldn't I get someone different (better)?  Later I think I got one of his autographs from a box.  

Only two of the 77 players managed to get on a Kellogg's card.  Bill Almon found his way into the 1979 set.  Almon played longer than I remembered - 15 seasons.  Another surprise was that in 1981 he received MVP votes finishing 19th for the White Sox.

Almon played for seven teams with the Padres being his longest stop - six years.  Not only is he from Rhode Island, he managed to stay there for college.  I can't blame him since he went to Brown University, one of about 12 colleges in RI.
 
The Padres selected him as the #1 pick in the 1974 draft.  He played in the majors that year.

He ranks first one a career fielding list.  See the information from baseball-reference.com that is below.
Statistic Description: Range Factor per 9 Inn =  9 * (Putouts + Assists) / Innings Played
Minimum of 1000 IP, 3000 PA, 500 games (fielding, 500 IP for Ps), 200 stolen base attempts (catchers) or 80 stolen base attempts (baserunners only since 1951) or 100 decisions for career and active leaderboards for rate statistics.
This statistic is computed from play-by-play data which is only complete from 1974 to the present. 








Davey Lopes also appeared in 1979.  He was featured in the 1980 and 1981 sets too.



I remember when Lopes set the record with 38 consecutive stolen bases.  Topps commemorated that with a card the next year.  Vince Coleman later broke that record.

No comments:

Post a Comment