Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, January 2, 2017

1970 Kellogg's Baseball Card Backs #10 - 12

If I think back to 1970, these three fall into three distinct groups if found in a box of cereal.




#12 - Willie Mays

Mays falls into the group of cards that I wanted to pull out of the box and never did.

Not a lot of room for text.  Kellogg's does mention that he is destined for the Baseball Hall of Fame.  Not much more needs to be said.



#11 - Tommie Agee

Agee is a card that I might get but that I didn't want.  Why?  He was on the 1969 Mets. 

He played a few games from 1962 - 1965 before becoming a regular and being named Rookie of the Year in 1966.  He listed singing as a hobby.  

Not on the card - I didn't like 1969 Mets.  I would have traded this card of made it look like the Jim Maloney card shown below.  



#10 - Jim Maloney

Maloney would be on the list of guys that I pulled out and said "who is this guy?".  I was not yet old enough to know all of the players featured.  By the time I assembled my first set, 1971 Topps, I knew everyone pictured.  

I like that the card lists his two no-hitters.  By the new rules he only has one no-hitter since he gave up hits in the 11th inning in one of the games.  His official no-hitter also went 10 innings.  

Not on the card - Maloney never won another game after 1969 and he last pitched in the big leagues in 1971.  



No comments:

Post a Comment