Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Some Nice Reading From 1973 - And a Huge Disappointment

I was reading about a 1973 National Card Show held in Chicago.  I was enjoying the story until it mentioned that the show was held at a hotel in Burbank, IL.  Why did that ruin the rest of the story for me?

I was really into baseball cards already by 1973 and I would have loved to go to an event like this.  I also rode my bike everywhere in those days.  Why did that matter?  Well, I lived less than two blocks from Burbank, IL and since it's not a big place, this hotel had to be within three miles of my house.  Without looking up the hotel, I am most certain that it was within two miles of my house.

I'm still disappointed that I didn't know more about this.  Unfortunately, the older kids in the neighborhood didn't start reading Sports Collectors Digest until about 1974 or 1975.

Here is a part Gar Miller's 1973 book about baseball cards that I read about on a Net54baseball.com forum.



  
It might take a while to stop thinking about what I missed, especially the next time I'm in the old neighborhood.

1 comment:

  1. I love looking at old baseball magazines for this exact reason. Complete Kellogg's sets for under $5? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete