Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Tuesday, June 21, 2016

I Never Heard This About My Favorite Radio Baseball Announcer

On June 20th, 1980 Al Cowens grounds out harmlessly.  What happened next wasn't so harmless.  Cowens ran directly toward the mound to tackle White Sox pitcher Ed Farmer from behind,

Farmer is currently a White Sox announcer.  Cowens got a few punches in before the players were pulled apart.  He also got a seven-game suspension.

What triggered this?  In 1979 Farmer hit both Frank White and Cowens, then a Royal, with pitches.  Cowens missed 21 games with a broken jaw and White's broken wrist resulted in him missing 33 games.

It shows that I certainly know a lot more about the Cubs than the White Sox.

1 comment:

  1. I thought I commented on this, but Farmer has mentioned this before. I remember reading about this as a kid. It gets brought up sometimes because Farmer has advocated, on several occasions and in varying forms of directness, that Sox pitchers should hit an opposing player. He went to St. Rita, after all.

    ReplyDelete