Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, June 25, 2016

Putting The 1972 All-Time Greats in Order Wasn't Easy For Me

I posed this challenge without looking up the order of their births.  Then I found out that of the 14 players, two were born in 1887 and two were born in 1903.  It was pure luck that I put them in the proper order.




In case you haven't tried this and plan to do so, I will tell you now I did without giving up the order.  Why?  Anyone can look up their birthdays online and figure out how they did.

Where did I do well?  I was able to divide the players into groups well.  I grouped the oldest five (group 1), the next four (group 2) and the youngest five (group 3).  All but one of them were grouped properly.  I used Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig as reference points, but that didn't help me very much.

In the first group I properly figured out who the two oldest players were, but I guessed them in the wrong order.  I had the other players correctly ordered.

In the second group I had none of them correctly placed.  One of them was just wrong and another player belonged in the first group.

In the third group I had none of them in the correct order.

I guess I should read up more on these players.  I know that I can't afford to buy any of their cards from when they played.  I'll just need to be content with their Kellogg's/Rold Gold cards.  Now that I think about it, I think I have some poor conditioned cards of Wagner (sorry, just a 48 Leaf), Hornsby, Speaker , Cochrane and Grove.  I need to go check out my few pre-WWII cards to see about these.


No comments:

Post a Comment