Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, June 9, 2016

Kellogg's Cereal Box Dream #29 - Hey, You're Boog Powell!

I remember my first 1970 Kellogg's Football cards more than I remember getting the baseball cards.  Spin forward to the 2000s and I remember Boog Powell being the last card I needed to complete the 1970 set.  In 1989 I also needed an Oriole (Mike Boddiker) to complete my 1988 Starting Lineup set.   



1970 Kellogg's Boog Powell #19


1970 Rating                    -- 6  comment -- I wasn't that knowledgable about AL players yet.

2016 Rating                    -- 7  comment --  Is this a short-printed card? 


I should have known more about a player who was MVP runner-up in 1969.  He then won the 1970 MVP award and I knew more about him.  He hit 339 career homers even though he played some years with the pitcher-friendly higher pitching mound.

Every time I went to an Orioles game in the last few years Powell was there at his restaurant.  I remember him most from the Lite Beer commercials where the umpire says "Hey, you're Boog Powell!"

Boog was one of the few players to win a World Series and a Little League World Series.

No comments:

Post a Comment