Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, February 6, 2016

Babe Ruth's Birthday - Lets Try the Back of the Kellogg's Cards

Sorry that I haven't replied to a few of the comments lately.  I am having technical difficulties with that feature.

Happy Birthday to Babe Ruth today.  The Great Bambino appears often in posts so I won't go into his stats today.  I'm going to check out the text on the back of his 1972 Kellogg's All-Time Greats cards.



Here is the back of card #6.



Here is the back of card #14.



He was good enough that they could write different card backs.  There was certainly a lot to say about his career.  Was there anything I didn't know much about?  Here is what I learned from the card backs.

1.  Both of Ruth's card say "Greatest Player Ever" near the bottom.  Other players in the set have the distinction "Greatest Players Ever".  I'm going to see if I have any variations from that.

2.  There was still specific mention to Ruth's record in a season of 154 games.  Many wouldn't accept Maris' record since the season was expanded to 162 games.  Maris' record celebrated more when McGwire and Sosa passed him.  Too bad Maris didn't get to be celebrated more since had already passed away.  

3.  I never noticed if the card backs differed in 1970 and 1972.  The text also talked about his career home run lead.  By 1972 Mays and Aaron were certainly getting close.  If the text was done in 1969 then there wasn't a huge issue with that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment