Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, December 17, 2018

What Other Things Do You Collect?

I saw this in my room today.  It is totally unrelated to Kellogg's cards, baseball cards, Sportscaster cards and Kenner Starting Lineups - all things that I collect.



I collect items from the PGA Tour Western Open.  This event is now known as the BMW Championship, a Tour Playoff event.  In years when the event is in the Midwest I caddie in the Pro-Am the day before the tournament.

When I was a teen, I caddied in this event in the days when professional caddies weren't allowed to work the tournament.  Two of my brothers also had the honor of being selected to caddie in the Western Open.  

Besides the ticket, player badges, patron passes and a few other newer items, I have a bunch of event used scorecards, a flag from the green and a few other promotional items and programs.  I am looking for other items that exist from this event.  

The main charity to benefit from this tournament is the Evans Scholar Foundation.  As an Evans Scholar alum, this has always been something that I've been interested in learning more about.  I am reminded of this during this week every year as my students hear from colleges about their applications.  I was awarded my scholarship during this week when I was a high schooler.

The scholarship is named for golfer Chick Evans who started it.  I am also always looking for Evans stuff, but that is more difficult since he played his best golf beginning before World War I.  Evans died before I became an Evans Scholar so I never got a chance to meet him or thank him.  

Do anyone of you have collecting interests outside of regular sports cards and Kellogg's cards?  Is it specific and is there a reason for it?


4 comments:

  1. oh man... this question is like opening up pandora's box. let's see... lp's, skateboards, kenner slu's, star wars movies, bobble heads, and most recently... i started building lego sets (not ready to say i collect them though).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have some of the Kenner cards from your list. I will try to check over the break from school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Primarily Kelloggs 3d baseball (was trying to get the 1970-1983 run at PSA 9 - don't think I'll ever finish that), 1970 Kelloggs football set, I have collected sets or individual examples of as many 3d baseball cards as have been offered, a box of cards from my childhood (mostly topps 71-73), I have two binders with as many Phillies cards as I have been able to gather from 1950 to the present (older cards are mostly reprints), Olympic wrestling cards, fossils (my daughter and I have gone on hunts together since she was little). I like Marvel's Incredible Hulk and Yoda from star wars so my family tends to buy me action figures - I don't seek them out but I have a shelf of each character. Running race, marathon and triathlon t-shirts and finisher medals.

    I guess you could say I collect audiobooks - I use audible and I'm listening to a book all the time - in the car, when I'm exercising.

    And I do 3d modeling and 3d printing... not a collection.

    I need another life just for hobbies... its a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you must not sleep. Olympic Wrestling cards - that surprised me.

    ReplyDelete