Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, May 1, 2015

Who Are the Last Hall of Famers to Retire on the Same Day? Of Course They All Have Kellogg's Baseball Cards

Jackie Robinson and Bob Feller are linked together because not only did they both play their last games on 09-30-1956, they both were inducted into the Hall of Fame together in 1962.  Monte Irvin also retired on that day but he was inducted years later.  None got into a Kellogg's set.


On 10-03-1993 both Robin Yount and George Brett retired.  Both are linked by collectors since their rookie cards are both in the 1975 Topps set.  Both were inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1999.  Both are in the 1981 - 1983 Kellogg's sets.  Brett also is in the 1975 and 1977 - 1979 sets.

Brett had 12 more career hits than Yount so I guess that's why he had four more Kellogg's cards.

I went to George Brett Day in Kansas City so I'm sure that will be the subject of a future post.




On 09-29-1996 both Andre Dawson and Ozzie Smith played their final games.



This Ozzie Smith card is another example of the team on the front not matching the team logo on the back.  I'll need to track these team backs.  Sounds like another post idea.  






1 comment:

  1. Sir, I will gladly sell you my ticket stub for George Brett's final game.....I, too, was in attendance. My price is whatever 27 holes is worth on a caddy ticket from 1983 or two pounds of 1981 Topps Dan Driessen cards, whichever is worth more.

    ReplyDelete