Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Thursday, June 25, 2015

How Could a Shortstop Do So Little and Still Get on a Kellogg's Baseball Card?

I like this website - http://www.nationalpastime.com/ - because it has a lots of daily history items that I can use to come up with story ideas.

One of today's stories interested me enough to check it out.  So, I went to http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/ to check out the details of this game.  

The story on nationalpastime.com mentions that on this day in 1976 Toby Harrah became the first shortstop to play both ends of a double header without taking a single fielding chance.   The box scores reveal that there were plenty of stolen bases by the White Sox so at least he was awake out there.  



The website didn't include any information on how he did at the plate which is why I went to baseball-reference.com to find out about his day.  He reached base in 8 of his 10 at-bats.  In game one he was 3-5 with 5 RBIs, a homer and a stolen base.  In game two he was 3-3 with a homer, 3 RBIs and two walks.  That's a nice week for most players - 5-8, with 2 walks, 2 homers, a steal and 8 RBIs.

There was plenty of hitting in both games as the scores were 8-4 and 14-9.  There were also only 12 strikeouts in game one and 6 in game two.  Since I never played middle infield (that's a future post I'm sure) it didn't occur to me that this would have never happened before.  

Since I'm more of an NL fan I didn't realize how long Harrah played - 17 years.   He was a four-time all-star who played most games every season.

Gaylord Perry won his 207th game in game 1.  Pete Vuckovich won his 6th career game in the second game. 






I had forgotten that Vuckovich, known to many as Clu Haywood from the movie Major League,  began with the White Sox.   What I never knew was that they lost him to the Blue Jays in the Expansion Draft after the 1976 season.  He recorded the first save for Toronto as well as the first shutout.    

In his few NL seasons, Vuckovich hit 0 home runs, unlike his character in the movie who as a slugger. (See My Earlier Post About Him and the Movie) His career average was .159 not a bad number for a pitcher or a new caddie.    










No comments:

Post a Comment