Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Tuesday, January 5, 2016

A Book That I am Now Planning to Read - It is Already in My Garage

In 1963 on this day Rogers Hornsby passed away in Chicago.  He has the highest career average for a right-handed hitter with his .358 average.  He also had the highest average in a season after 1900 when he hit .424.



I know that I have a book in the garage about him.  After what I learned today I'll certainly be reading it soon.

Hornsby was buried in a place near Austin, Texas called Hornsby Bend, Texas.  Is anyone else born in a town that matches their name?

Hornsby wasn't well-liked as a player or as a manager.  Maybe that is a big reason why he played for some many teams and coached/managed at a lot of places as well.

I like this quote that I found that was attributed to him -
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it."

I guess that he never would have liked being a caddie either.   I will be thinking about that when I read the book.  




No comments:

Post a Comment