Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, June 5, 2017

Jimmy Piersall and Random Stuff

We were talking about Jimmy Piersall yesterday during my first visit to Miller Park.  Hearing about his death brought back great memories of listening to him as an announcer for the White Sox.

Today I can get online and learn everything about his baseball career, his struggles, movies and books etc.  That takes about 30 seconds.  In the 1970s all we had to go on was what we heard.  We knew he had a movie that chronicled his troubles, but we couldn't just watch it whenever we wanted.  All that mattered was that fans were sure to enjoy a telecast when Piersall was behind the mic and Caray was promoting Falstaff or some other drink.  

I watched a lot of baseball in the late 1970s.  Since the Cubs played mostly day games, I'd get to see lot of White Sox games.  Piersall was teamed with Harry Caray from 1977 to 1981.  I just looked that up and I was surprised that Piersall wasn't with the White Sox for more years that that.

These two announcers made games entertaining for fans of all ages.  I imagine you can just go to YouTube and find some of their old broadcasts.  That's not something I do, but I bet you'd enjoy what you find.   

Here is an article about Harry and Jimmy - http://whitesoxinteractive.com/History&Glory/FalstaffHarry.htm.

Back to the game.  We got there early for batting practice and a giveaway.  There was no batting practice, which is disappointing when you have row one seats in left field.  But, my daughter got a ball from a player in the bullpen to add to our list.  

I still don't like seeing the Brewers in the NL.  It was fitting that I saw the Brewers since Caray had such a close relationship with different breweries.  




I wanted to talk about this Clemente card but that will have to wait until tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment