Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Tuesday, February 6, 2018

What Does 1,000 Mean in Baseball?

When someone gets a hit every time he is said to be batting 1,000 which is really 1.000.  This is my 1,000th post.  I still don't have my files copied from my old hard drive to the new one, so I am still short on pictures.  I'm too lazy to take new pictures for this post.

Only one player has exceeded 1,000 stolen bases.  Just ask him and he will tell you that he's the greatest ever.  Just don't expect Rickey Henderson to throw a ball into the stands at an All-Star game.

I found some stats for players that were 1,000 but they didn't appear on a Kellogg's card.  For players on a Kellogg's card there were a few close calls.

Tommy Agee managed to get 999 hits in his career.  Too bad he didn't get one more hit off of Tom Bradley who didn't get a Kellogg's card, but he gave up 999 hits.  They both were in the NL in 1973 but they didn't face each other.

Sam McDowell gave up 999 runs in his career.

Boog Powell recorded 999 walks in his career.   He batted 58 times against McDowell and received eight walks.  One bases-loaded walk off McDowell would have gotten both to 1,000.

Steve Rogers gave up 1,001 earned runs in his career.

In the 14 years from 1970 - 1983 only one MLB team didn't win 1,000 games.  Can you name that team?  Since the answer is only one team, Toronto and Seattle who both entered in 1977 are excluded from this.

Five other teams averaged less than 75 wins per season during that time.  Can you name them?  One surprised me a bit. 


5 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 1000. Always informative and interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Without looking it up, I'd guess the Padres.. Just because Padres...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job Mike. Randy Jones still had a few good seasons with these bad teams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My vote goes to my beloved San Diego Padres.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cubs weren't many wins ahead of the Padres from 1970 - 1983.

    ReplyDelete