Kelloggs Cards

Kelloggs Cards

Sunday, July 12, 2015

How Did My Younger Brother Get to an All-Star Game Before I Got to One? What DId He See?

The AL scored 13 runs on 15 hits to crush the NL in the 1983 All-Star game.  I remember watching it on the old, horrible television at my parent's house.  My brother had the luxury of going to the game with my sister, who wasn't much of a baseball fan.

My sister entered my 12-year-old brother in some kind of contest to win tickets to the game.  I may have some of the details wrong, but either way the two of them were among the winners so they attended the game at Comiskey Park.

They saw an All-Star game record 13 runs by the AL.  Not that I'm jealous, but when I went to an All-Star game at Wrigley Field I was the most boring game in the history of the All-Star game.
They also witnessed lots of ceremony since the game celebrated the 50th anniversary of the first All-Star game in 1933.

Dave Stieb was the winning pitcher in a 13-3 AL Victory.



The big news was Fred Lynn's grand slam off of Atlee Hammaker.  Hammaker's name sounds like someone who would get a grade of at least 94.50 on every math test ever.  Unfortunately for him 94.50 was his ERA for the game.  He gave up 7 runs and recorded only two outs.   Jim Rice also homered off Hammaker.




Hammaker did have a 15-year career in which he played parts of 12 major league seasons.  His career record was 59-67.

Check out the list of pitchers who were selected for the game and those who played.  Not many stars were involved at all.  A future post will examine years when the All-Star game ended up without star players.


No comments:

Post a Comment