Kelloggs Cards

Kelloggs Cards

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Who is the Sy Berger of Kellogg's Cards and Can I Talk to Him?

Most collectors have heard of Sy Berger who worked for Topps for over 50 years.  Sy is known as the father of the modern-day baseball cards.  He was the guy at Topps forever.  Mr. Berger passed away last year but he had already passed along a great history to many people in the hobby.



Is there someone at Kellogg's who drove the card-making process for all of those years?  Does anyone know where I can find some of this information besides contacting Kellogg's?

Is there a place to find articles on Kellogg's from older magazines like The Trader Speaks, Sports Collectors Digest or any other vintage magazines?  Can I do company research on the companies that printed the cards?  Should I check newspaper archives?

This is a long-term project but I was appreciate any suggestions.

My number one priority at the National will be to ask this question to any of the major vintage dealers.  I will let you know what I find out.

Things that I wonder about......

How did they select players?

Did they struggle to sign certain players?

How were they distributed - any single-prints?

What happened to cards 1-3 in the 1976 set?  That could not have been their original plan.





No comments:

Post a Comment