Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, July 31, 2015

My Favorite Player That Played Before My Time and I Met

Sad to hear today about the passing of Billy Pierce.  Even though I've always been a Cub fan, I always lived on the Southside among White Sox fans.

When I was a kid I sent some cards for him to autograph through the White Sox I think.  When I got the cards back they were all signed.  He also included a postcard on which he wrote "We live about two miles apart".  I still have that postcard.

At card shows in the 1980s and 1990s Mr. Pierce was a frequent guest.  His autographs were always cheap or free and he spent lots of time chatting with everyone.  That was a great part of the card show experience for me since I don't really collect autographs.

I mentioned Pierce in a post a few days ago regarding Hall of Fame voting.  On Wednesday night at the National card show I purchased a 1952 Topps Pierce card that I saw in the $1.00 box.  I couldn't pass that up even though I already have that card autographed.

He's another guy I hope to make a Kellogg's card for someday.

4 comments:

  1. I came on here to write about this. I remember that postcard--I remember his message verbatim.

    I met him twice, I think. The last time was at a bookstore two years ago. Was at the Sox game last week, and they laid flowers at the feet of his statue. I gotta get some cards of this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From another website: In over 130 of Billy Pierce's 390 starts for the Go-Go Sox, they scored two or fewer runs for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got lots of extra cards including some with his autograph. Just let me know what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got lots of extra cards including some with his autograph. Just let me know what you want.

    ReplyDelete