Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, July 24, 2015

Kellogg's Cereal Box Dream # 15 - Can I Get Any Other Kellogg's Card Please?

I had trouble distinguishing the 1977 and 1978 Kellogg's sets when I was younger.  I would constantly get them confused.  Steve Carlton didn't help me at all.

I think I ended up with at least seven of these two cards during 1977 and 1978.  Amazingly, I got three in one box of Frosted Flakes.

Carlton must have been one of the first students at Miami Dade College since it opened in the early 1960s.  From baseball-reference.com I noticed that he was the first player from MDC to make it to the majors.

Carlton has been joined by 25 other players from MDC including Bucky Dent, Mickey Rivers, Kurt Bevaqua, Randy Bush, Tim Hulett and Warren Cromartie.

He managed 13 career home runs and a .201 average.  

1977 Kellogg's Steve Carlton #57 and 1978 Steve Carlton #1

1977-78 Cereal Box rating -- 6    comment --   A star player, but I keep getting his cards.        



2015 Rating                    -- 8    comment --     Nice cards, but they are still easy to find.  They are                                                                              not as popular as cards of other Hall of Famers.


Carlton actually appears on consecutive cards in the Kellogg's sets.  If you hadn't noticed, he is the last card in the 1977 set and the first card in the 1978 set.  That might be the norm now since players appear on multiple cards in every set, but in the 1970s that didn't happen much.  Did it?  I'll need to look into this more.


No comments:

Post a Comment