Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Saturday, October 24, 2015

He Got Caught Only Once - Just Like His Brother Joe!

On June 13, 1976 Phil Niekro got caught stealing.  In 24 years he pitched in 864 games.  He appeared as a hitter 1,707 times recording 260 hits.  He also reached base 17 times by walk (none intentional) and 12 times when hit by a pitch.  He surely reach base other times on a fielder's choice.

If I had a chance to ask him a question I would want to know why he attempted to steal second in that game.  His career stat line is 0 steals - 1 caught stealing.




Here's what I would ask him.

Did he think he was faster than when he was a rookie twelve years earlier?

Was he trying to match his brother who was 1-for-1 in steals during his 22-year career?  Joe was smart enough to do this as a rookie in 1968.

Did the catcher drop the ball/pass out or have some other trauma?

Was the opposing pitcher throwing a knuckleball or euphus pitch?  Jim Rooker was the pitcher so I doubt it.

My last question - how does it feel to be caught once like your brother Joe?  Above I mentioned that Joe was never caught stealing.  I'm referring to Joe's issue with a file/sandpaper in his pocket during a game.  Watch that clip if you haven't seen it.

In future posts I will see who else couldn't manage to steal a base.




2 comments:

  1. Just looked that up. It appears that Niekro drove in Ken Henderson with a single in the bottom of the second. Maybe he thought he'd find the catcher (Duffy Dyer, a former Amazin') off guard? Dunno. Niekro was thrown out to end the inning. Dyer did allow someone else to steal a base that game, though.

    The NL was so aggressive in the 70s. Now, they want both leagues to be the same.

    I'd love to know why he ran. He'd probably say, "Tell ya what; meet me by my plaque in the Hall of Fame, and I'll explain."

    Did Eddie Matthews ever get a card? I'm thinking he missed it by a few years....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eddie Mathews was a bit too early. He retired after the 1968 season. I'd like to get better at Photoshop and start making my own cards in the Kellogg's style. All Hall of Famers in the 1972 All-Time Greats style would look great.

    ReplyDelete