Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, October 5, 2015

The Most Common First Names on Kellogg's Cards. The Most Common Name on HRs?

It appears as though Bill is the most common name in the MLB archives.  It is followed closely by John, Jim, Mike, Joe and Bob.



How does that work with Kellogg's cards?  Since I didn't spend the extra time removing players from the list who appeared on more than one card, the leader is Jim.  Next on the list are Dave, Willie, Steve, Mike and Bill.



I made no effort to combine similar names like Bill and Billy or Steve and Stephen so this isn't at all scientific.  But I figured I'd also check for some oddities with homers for each first name.

Here is a breakdown of homers by first name.  Again, I made no attempt to be perfect.  Mike and Micahel are different names for this research.

Mike had a lead of almost 700 homers over Jim.  The data that I am using from 2014 shows players named Mike had 6,227 homers.






In a future post I may look at other stats by first name and/or last name.



No comments:

Post a Comment