Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Sunday, October 4, 2015

Kellogg's Cereal Box Dream #18 - What Was Your System for Getting Cards Out Without Eating Cereal?

The first year that I got most of the Kellogg's set by eating Frosted Flakes was 1974.  Thanks to my many siblings for helping devouring the cereal.  Family stories with so many siblings could fill another daily blog.

The 54 cards in the 1974 set are among my favorites.  After my mom brought home the groceries on Saturday it was time to dig for the Kellogg's prizes.  I developed a system for getting the cards even though I'd already eaten breakfast.  

It was important to not damage the card, but it wasn't important to worry about passing along germs to my siblings by digging into the box with both hands.  That method didn't work because it could damage the card.

Here's how I did it.  

1.  Rip open the top.  Opening the bottom was probably a better idea but that would get me in trouble at home.

2.  Grab the box by the narrow sides and shake it a bit.  This should allow the cereal to settle a bit.  

3.  Push the narrow sides together so that the wide sides separate.  

4.  Next I would tilt the box toward myself and check for the card against one of the wider sides.  

5.  If I can see the card, then dive in after it.  If not, it's time to shake the cereal and rotate the box until I have a view of the card.

In 1974 I was fortunate that there were three cards depicting Cubs.  Ron Santo was already gone across town and Billy Williams was in his last year with the team.  Rick Monday had just hit 26 homers in 1973 so his card was also sought after by me.  

1974 Kellogg's Rick Monday #2

1974 Cereal Box rating -- 9   comment --   A Cub was always a top goal for me.                                               


2015 Rating                    -- 7  comment --   You are either in the Hall of Fame or you are a                                                              common.  Local interest is the only thing in between it seems.


If I ever get another box unopened someday it will certainly be tempting to open it with this plan.

Monday had some good years with the Cubs.  His RBI totals are lower than his 241 career homers would suggest.  That's because he often batted lead-off.

Monday batting up and down the lineup in his long career.  Here is a list of the number of games and his starting position in the batting order.  After that are his homers in that spot.

Bat   Games
         Started    HR
1st - 314          63
2nd - 285        38
3rd - 157         09
4th - 116         21
5th - 155         20
6th - 381         51
7th - 184         31
8th - 24           04
9th - 0             04

I sure remember his as a lead-off man with the Cubs.

He hit 11 of those homers off Tom Seaver.  He had 104 plate appearances against Seaver, more than he had against any pitcher.   He batted .349 against Seaver.




No comments:

Post a Comment