Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Opening Sealed Kellogg's Baseball Cards

Since a few of the packs were badly damaged I decided to open them and see what these 1980 Kellogg's baseball cards look like when removed from the 38-year-old packaging.

I've seen a bunch of Kellogg's cards with a rip on the bottom right of the packaging as shown below. 


Now I know why I might want to avoid those cards with large rips.  The card itself if ripped to the right of STARS.  The card is also discolored near the bottom since the rip left the package partially open - probably since 1980.  




The Hernandez card is also ripped under the 'R' in STARS.  The package had the same look - a rip near the bottom right corner of the card.  



This Cey card didn't have a rip that extended to the card, but the bottom of the card has lost its white shine over time since it was not sealed on the bottom.  

I usually only see dirty, stained wrappers from 1980.  I would love to see some clean wrappers.  

2 comments:

  1. Just curious... do you think the stains partially come from light exposure? And I don't think I've seen a torn Kellogg's. Cracked? Yes. Torn? No. Any idea on how that happened? Perhaps a factory fail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that they must have used a different color paper because I have yet to see a 1979 or 1980 pack with the clean, white color wrapper. The 1980 packs that I bought were packed fairly well into the box and the cards in the middle were a better color, but certainly more tan/brown than white. I'm not sure about the ripped package, but I see that happening in a production line.

    ReplyDelete