Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Tuesday, February 5, 2019

1972 Kellogg's All-Time Greats Baseball Card Backs - #10

Back for another look at a great set - the 1972 Kellogg's All-Time Great set.  Today I am down to card #10 - Eddie Collins. 

I'm working late on this since school was already canceled for tomorrow due to ice storms.  That just means more time to train and organize my cards, both tasks that I never have enough time to do.

My knowledge of Collins is somewhat limited, so just like other cards in this set, I am learning some new things.  I mainly have collected cards from the post-WWII era since they were affordable when I was a kid in the 1970s.



I knew that Collins was on the White Sox / Black Sox in 1919.  He played 12 years with the Sox, but he actually played 13 more with the A's.  

I knew that he had lots of steals, but I didn't realize he hit .333 and had an MLB-record 512 sacrifice hits.  Of course averages were higher during that era.  

On to the back of the card with a nice picture of the White Sox uniform.  He led his position in fielding nine times.  



He's credited on this cards with 509 sacrifices, a number that is now 512 on baseball-reference.com. 

He was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1939.

He played in six World Series from 1910 to 1919, and he was on the winning team four times, the losing team once and the Black Sox team that lost in 1919. 

No comments:

Post a Comment