Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Friday, November 20, 2020

Do As I Say, Not As I Do

I decided that I would stay away from my card room until I caught up with my grading.  I'm getting close to that.  I haven't stopped myself from buying online.  I guess being stupid and not buying online is probably more appropriate this week.  

I've probably made three big mistakes when not bidding properly on an item over the last few years.  Two of them happened this week.  What constitutes a mistake?  For me the mistake is that I was too cheap to bid appropriately on items that don't come up for sale often.  

To make matters worse, one was a Kellogg's display item that I never saw before.  It gets worse - it had a buy-it-now price and I didn't act.  Ugh. 

The second one was on some cards that don't show up much.  I needed about half of the lot.  It would not bother me as much if someone bid way up to win the lot, but it was just two of us so the other person got the lot at the next price higher than my top bid.  Ugh.  

I hope that this reminder stays with me for a while.  But I really wonder how long it will take for me to be able to find the items that are missing from my collection.  

Does everyone make these mistakes?  The one lot ended while I was teaching so that didn't help matters.


 

1 comment:

  1. If you've only regretted not bidding higher three times in the last few years... I'd say you're doing okay. Although it hasn't happened to me recently (only because I've cut back on spending a lot in 2020), it used to happen to me all the time. The bigger regrets are purchases I made that I wish I hadn't. Hmmm... I might have to write about it in my TWiB post tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete