Menu Note


Use the menu below if you'd like to search for posts that relate to your interests. Note - this was just created on 12-30-20 so I will need to link the posts in the coming weeks. Until then, you can scroll down to the labels on the right to find the same information.


Monday, April 18, 2022

Do You Have Any Good Starting Lineup Stories?

https://uk.hasbropulse.com/pages/starting-lineup 

Wow!  Starting Lineup figures are coming back after 21 years.  I collected them from 1988 to 1994.  The baseball strike slowed my collecting a bit in 1995, but then I kept going until about 1998.

I like them opened or unopened but they take up too much space.  For many of the ones that became the equivalent of junk wax, I opened them to save space.

My favorite story involves my brother.  He found two basketball figures that he wanted but he only had enough money to buy one.  What did the quick-thinking teen do?  Before buying one he placed the other one in an Easy Bake Oven so that no one else would find it.  Toys R Us was a great place.

In 2001 Albert Pujols made his debut.  Are there any other active players in pro sports who've been around that long?  That guy who just un-retired from the Bucs began his career in 2000.  I think there are some hockey players who've been around that long.  Probably a few NFL kickers or punters too.  

It took until 1990 or so, but I completed the 1988 set when I got a Mike Boddiker figure.

Did anyone collect those?  Do you still have them?  


6 comments:

  1. I have two binders dedicated to my Kenner SLU cards. I also collect unopened figures, but a few years ago I opened a bunch to conserve space.

    P.S. The Easy Bake Oven hide was a sweet move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did pull a bunch of those cards that you need. We'll need to work out a trade. I will send them sometime in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never interested in Starting Lineup figurines/cards. But at the Rose Bowl flea market in March, I came across a sealed '95 Derek Jeter and a sealed '96 Cal Ripken Jr. On eBay, the Jeter SLU has sold for between $7 and $40 recently. The Ripken has sold for between $2 and $7. The flea market vendor sold them to me for $2 each. Right now, they're just trade bait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to have trade bait. Will the new SLUs generate interest in older ones?

      Delete
  4. I can't say that I collected them, but I had (and still have) a few. I played with them by taking one in each hand and throwing them at each other. The first one to lose his helmet lost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds a bit like the scene in Home Alone where Kevin shoots them.

    ReplyDelete